Saturday 20 February 2016

Green floral vogue dress

Hello all! I haven't been sewing a lot lately because I've been having some major style struggles which I'll probably discuss at a later date. However, I made this dress during the Christmas holidays and I love it. 
I used a vintage vogue skirt pattern for the skirt portion of the dress and my bodice block for the top half. I add a bit onto the sides of my bodice block nowadays to give me some more room and I really should update it. When I sit down the bodice rides up and the neckline gapes, and I'm not sure whether it's too tight at the bust so it can't just drape down normally.
The fabric is a wool blend from a Goldhawk Road shopping spree just before Christmas. The colours in this print are just gorgeous. I'm always on the look out for nice green fabrics. I think it was on offer for £7.50 a metre instead of £10 a metre so I paid £15 for 2m and £1 for a zip, totalling at £16. Not bad!

All the seams are overlocked as usual and neckline and armholes are finished with white bias binding made from an old sheet. I keep meaning to draw some green dots on it because the contrast is a bit stark at the moment!

I think the silhouette of the skirt pattern is gorgeous. I never thought I suited a dropped waist because I have quite a long torso already but I think the seperate bodice and hip panels help in defining my waist. I love love love the gentle V of the hip panels at the back. I'm seriously considering using this skirt pattern (lengthened to a maxi in emerald silk chiffon) for my summer ball dress.

This dress has already had many outings. It goes really well with my thick winter coat and I feel super elegant, but yet young and fun when wearing it. 
That's it for now! Thanks very much for reading and for Edward for taking pictures when he popped up to visit.
Lauren xx