Sunday 14 June 2015

Culotte Jumpsuit

Continuing with my new-found love of culottes I decided to try some longer ones, added to my bodice block to make a jumpsuit. I had one fabric in the stash that was perfect, given to me by a fellow clarinetist a year or two ago. I think it's silk, and the colours in the print are just gorgeous. 
 I used the same vintage culotte pattern that I made my purple culottes from, which is Simplicity 7463. For my purple ones I made the white pair, and I was planning on lengthening those, but with the pleat in the middle it wouldn't fit onto the fabric. Instead I used the pattern pieces for the light blue culottes, lengthened another couple of inches.
The hips were a couple of inches wider than my measurements, so I used the excess to make a little pleat each side. I didn't sew the darts, but pleated them to match the culottes. I think in this version they are a little too far away from the centre front, so I'd move them closer next time.
These culottes were as much of a nightmare to hem as the last ones. Seeing as they were too long to hem while wearing them, I hung them on a hanger and evened the hem that way. I think the fullness in each of the legs is perfect.
I wasn't sure if I'd like the length, but I think it works with my (only pair) of heels. I feel very elegant when wearing it. There is a bit of gaping at the back neckline unfortunately. It had to have a lapped zipper as that was only what I had in my stash, and I can never make them particularly invisible, but I think I've finally mastered it. Upon reflection, putting the zip in the centre back seam would have been a better idea, as it takes a bit of wriggling to get into.
It's finished off really cleanly inside with all raw edges overlocked. The armholes and neckline I used bias binding for (using the fabric scraps) which was slipstitched invisibly to the wrong side. The hem was turned under twice and slipstitched. 
I finished it just in time to go and see The Piano Guys in Nottingham, and they were fantastic! Thanks very much for reading, and to Ed for taking pictures. 
Lauren xx